Our latest update is live and brings some rather fantastic changes to Don't Starve. Along with snappy new character special powers, we've also introduced a new character that many have been asking for... Woodie, the lumberjack!
Read onward for details on these new changes. If you're looking for a place to discuss these new improvements, we have just such a thing! Head over to our post in the Don't Starve forum.
Woodie the Lumberjack:
He's a fun-loving Canadian who spends too much time in the woods. His axe talks to him, and he has a terrible curse.
New special powers for the unlockable characters:
- Gets a sanity bonus from being near fire
- Impervious to fire damage (and probably heat when that becomes a Thing)
- Gets a unique lighter that acts as an infinite torch with a very small radius
- Has a lower max sanity
- Lights fires at random when her sanity is low
- Can eat spoiled food with no penalty
- Starts with very low stats, but can upgrade himself by eating gears.
- Takes damage in the rain, but creates light from the sparks
- Can get hit by lightning, causing a system overload that makes him run faster and glow in the dark
- Has pathetic, low stats
- Can make balloon animals
- Has a large stomach
- Faster sanity drain in the dark and near scary things
- Gets damage and health bonuses when his belly is full (and penalties when it is empty!)
- Lower combat damage
- Less afraid of the dark and monsters.
- Carries around abigail's flower. When it is charged (it takes a couple of days), a blood sacrifice will summon Abigail!
- Abigail is a lot more useful now, and will last until she falls in battle
- Gets a bonus tech level
- Has a high max sanity
- Can craft books that can be read to cast powerful magic spells
- Insomniac - can not sleep
- Picky eater - higher penalties for spoiled food
Splumonkeys - Cave-dwelling monkeys that just want to cause you trouble. Nothing is safe from their pestering!
Pengulls - Mostly harmless penguinoids who leap from the ocean in the winter to form rookeries. Be careful if you disrupt their migration!
We added a new tab for gem-based items, and added amulets and staffs for all of the existing colours. Watch this space for more mind-bending magic in future updates!
- Red amulet - resurrects as before, but also converts hunger into health
- Blue amulet - harness the power of cold!
- Purple amulet - Dare to gaze upon the terrifying nightmare world.
- Purple staff - Warp space and time with teleportation!
Improved Mod Support:
There is a new mod configuration screen that lets you activate/deactivate mods from within the game. Check out the modding forum for details!
For other important changes for modders, check this thread.